Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Creature Cantina: No droids allowed...

Here’s the Creature Catina set all put together. I remember taking this out of the box and being like: Is that it? I think I got it for my birthday, I don’t remember it under the Christmas tree. I just had a flashback to a store in Easton MD that was in the strip mall where the bowling ally was. I might have bought it there with my allowance now that I think of it. This might not have been a Sear’s exclusive after all. But somehow I got the tall, blue Snaggletooth.

Creature CantinaIt came with several stickers that go on top of the plastic tables and some that go on the sides of the doors. I remember I had to get them just right, so they matched the picture on the box. It came with this tiny rubber band that you put on the top of the doors. When you closed the doors, there was a little lever the action figures could step on that would send the doors swinging open. I remember putting C-3P0 and R2-D2 outside the door, because they weren’t allowed in the bar.

The base had pegs all over it. The Star Wars figures had small holes on the bottom of their feet. You could plug them into the pegs. This playset had two “action” features that used these pegs, setting on top of a plastic circle that could swivel by pushing or pulling a lever. There was one in the bar and one at the smaller table. These levers were attached to a small notch that came up from under the floor. The notch would go underneath the floor when you moved the lever halfway. You were supposed to put an action figure on top of the notch when it was recessed. When the lever was moved all the way, it would release the notch, making the action figure fall down. If you put Obi-Wan on the lever and Walrus Man on the notch, you could reenact the scene where Obi-Wan cuts his arm off. Yeah, I know, it was lame then too. There was another lever/notch system behind the table.

So I looked this up on e-bay. Even with the box, the last one that sold went for $20.00. In the trash this goes. Why the heck did I hang onto this for thirty years?

Good-bye Creature Cantina.

No comments: